Hey Beauties!
Every girl needs a good mascara, a mascara that will change everything in a swipe or two. A mascara that will add volume, lift, separate and lengthen with no effort whatsoever. A good mascara is like a girl's best friend in the beauty world and sometimes a girl needs more than one best friend to keep her looking her best.
For me, there are three best friends that take turns keeping my lashes looking lush and I couldn't live without either one of them. I may have little flings with other contenders but I always go back to these three.
What I Look For
So when it comes to mascara, I look for a few specific things. I want a wand that's small enough to manoeuvre and that makes it easy to get right up to the lash line. I want an ultra black formula that won't smudge, fade or run when my eyes water. I want volume and length and a good amount of curl. Overall I want a mascara that will give me va-va-voom lashes that can be seen from a mile away.
First up to the bat is my ride or die mascara, the one that has been my go-to for the past 5 years. Benefit Cosmetics' They're Real Mascara is the all in one mascara that gives you that false lash look without all of the fuss.
It has a thick rubber wand covered in short spiky bristles and a spiked ball on the tip for reaching the smallest lashes. The tiny bristles get down to the base of each and every lash and lift them at the root, coating them easily and creating a massive amount of volume.
The formula holds the lashes in place all day with no smudging, flaking or transfer. At the end of the day it takes a good makeup remover or micellar water to remove this budge-proof mascara.
I love to pair it with the They're Real Tinted Primer which is my favourite primer for all mascaras. You can read my review of the tinted primer here. The They're Real Mascara retails for $31 CAD / $24 USD.
Next up is the wide eyed mascara that gives you lashes for days. The Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara is a true triple threat, it offers volume, length and separation in one easy swoop.
The magic in this mascara is all thanks to the wand, it is a rubber wand with two different curves and 10 layers of bristles that hook onto each and every lash. The inner curve gets right down to the base with it's shorter bristles and the outer layer distributes the product evenly throughout the lashes.
The combo gives you full, fluttery lashes with incredible lift and length. It feels feather light and never smudges. You can read my full review of the Lash Sensation here and it retails for $11 CAD/$8 USD.
L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly Sculpt
Last but certainly not least is my new obsession the L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly Sculpt Mascara. This new beauty is the latest addition to the Voluminous range and it takes after its sister the original Voluminous Butterfly.
The difference with this mascara is all in the wand, instead of two extended butterfly wings on the wand, these wings are folded up like a butterfly with closed wings. The thin rubber wand has these two closed up wings on one side with short bristles lining the wings. The rest of the wand is completely bare.
The amazing thing about this wand is that it's tiny size and tiny bristles mean you can get right up to the root of the lashes and coat each one while at the same time it tightlines the lash line so there are no visible gaps between the lashes. It makes applying mascara so much faster and easier and it gives you incredible length and lift for drop dead gorgeous lashes.
The Voluminous Butterfly Sculpt Mascara is not yet available but keep your eyes out for it soon.
(L-R Lash Sensational, Butterfly Sculpt, They're Real)
These three mascaras are all absolute life changers and I couldn't imagine my collection without them. What is your "can't live without" mascara?




